Monday, May 28, 2012

Industrious in Iraq!


Hello everyone,

It's been a wonderful week and a half in Iraq! I can hardly believe it's already been a week, everything just seems to fly by here. Working in the office is lots of fun; the staff is amazing, the other interns are the bees' knees, and the actual work material is awesome.

The staff members are all excited to have interns around for the summer and I'm excited because I get to work with these awesome people. The two founders of PLC are very well-spoken, have tremendous drive to do what needs to be done, and share a passion for healing children. Jeremy is often telling us about his stories about spreading PLC's work far and wide. I can't wait to hear more of what he's doing. Cody is the other face of PLC, working to help people understand what PLC is all about and how we accomplish everything. His wife Michelle is our financial advisor and helps the office get the resources it needs to save lives. Matt is the press secretary here and my direct supervisor, so I better not say much about him. He knows so much more than I could have imagined possibly even existing about social media, photography, and design. I don't know how I'll keep up with all this new stuff like blogging and the like. According to the PLC website, Matt's wife Cayla is the Remedy Mission coordinator, but it seems like she coordinates everything around the office. From intern duties to making sure everyone has everything they need, Cayla's the one who does what needs to be done. Awara is our culture guide, ensuring we don't do anything wrong this summer. I finally got to meet him this week because he was out with two of the other interns for a project, but now he's here and I can't wait to get to know him better. This summer is going to be amazing and the staff is a huge part of that. 
Some of us interns being goofy at lunch
I recently met two more of the interns, Alicia and Kendelyn! They were both in another town screening children for heart defects this last week and now they're back with all sorts of neat things to say. Kendelyn was there taking photos and she has some awesome photos from Iraq, which you can check out here on her blog. Alicia is a doctor-in-training and we've found her to be a great resource to have around. When you read all day about odd things like the tetralogy of fallot, it's great to be able to ask a person and not have to look it up on wikipedia.


I'm really excited because I've been given a project to work on! Matt has asked me to work on the biweekly newsletter PLC sends out and I'm stoked! I love all the stories of generosity I get to read about while I work and every part of PLC combines to make one amazing whole.

One week down, 9 more glorious ones to go! Until next time,
Craig

1 comment:

  1. It's so cool to hear about everything! Keep up the good work. Also, I love how 2 lines in you can tell who is writing. ; )

    Praying for you guys!

    Morgan A.

    P.S. Tyler stop chewing on water bottles, it's bad for your teeth.

    ReplyDelete