Thursday, May 31, 2012

1 Shower, 10 people – Not all at the same time


Our hammam. This summer I will be getting some strong thighs!

As Craig mentioned earlier this week we have a few more people living at our house and that brings the total to 10! For having that amount of people living under the same roof and only one shower, things are surprisingly calm. We all seem to get along pretty well and no major issues have broken out. Please pray for God's continued grace in this area because we will add one more to the crew in about a week and a half.

It has been nice to have Jeremy back from out of town this week and everyone in the office.  Jeremy and the rest of the staff have been very open with us about how PLC is run, the issues they run into, and how they make decisions. It has allowed me to take ownership of this internship and really become a member of PLC, which is exactly what they want. They also want us to become a part of the culture and one way they help us do that is with a couple of rules for making friends. One rule they have is say yes to EVERYTHING.

Some of my new Kurdish friends. 
Because of this rule and a crazy mountain climb I got to take part in last weekend I made my first Kurdish friend!  I met him at the bottom of the mountain I had just spent the last 12 long hours on and we hit it off right away. He speaks really good English and that day we were able to exchange numbers.  This past Tuesday he invited me to go hang out with his friends at a park so I took Craig along.  It was a great time hanging out and getting to learn about his life and the Kurdish culture. Please keep this relationship in your prayers.

Tonight we have another opportunity to meet local Kurds who speak English at a coffee night where we will help teach conversational English.  We have the opportunity to do this every Thursday night and it is a great way to make friends and exchange numbers. We would all appreciate your prayers on our behalf!

Lastly, I wanted to share a praise with all of you.  I know many of you have followed the story of my cousin’s baby, Madi. She was born with Congenital Heart Disease and has been battling for her life all of her life.  For the last 4 months she has been on top of the heart transplant list in Houston.  Earlier this week Madi received her new heart and she has been recovering nicely from a very intense surgery.  Praise God for her new heart and keep her in your prayers as well as the donor family. To follow her story check out her moms blog here.

I thank all of you for joining Craig and me on this journey.  It would not have been possible to get here without your support nor will it be possible to be effective without your support. 
Tyler
An awesome silhouette from halfway up the mountain. Can you guess which one I am?
Photo Credit - Matt Willingham

1 comment:

  1. Tyler, thank you so much for your posts. It is nice to hear what you are doing and that you are doing well and meeting people, learning a new culture and doing a great service. Take care and God Bless. Love to you and yours, Uncle Randy & Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete