Thursday, June 7, 2012

You Have to Stretch Before You Can Run

Well folks it's stretching time,

We are winding down our 3rd week in Iraq and I am finally starting to get a good stretch. This week I've had the opportunity to be frustrated physically, culturally, and spiritually. And I'm glad because this is a huge reason I came to Iraq.

Physically I'm feeling a little beat up because my body is not cooperating with the type of food we eat. I thought I ate a lot of bread and meat at home but that was nothing compared to the amount I eat here. Also, the temp has reached 100+ and will only continue to climb as we continue to wear long sleeved shirts.

Culturally, I love it, I really do. I'm starting to get past the novelty however. The people are so nice and helpful. They will literally stop what they are doing to help you out, especially if you are American. I'm just getting past the stage where it's fun and cool to be the new guy, the one everyone wants to look at and and talk to.
Mzgowti Gowra (the great mosque) in the Bazaar.
Spiritually I am being challenged by the different views of the people around me. Not only am I living in a predominantly Muslim culture but I am also living with people who do not necessarily have the exact same theology I do. During our weekly "home group" at the Courtney's, we listen to different sermons that challenge us to think about what we really believe. We discuss different view points and ask challenging questions.

I tell you these things not so you will worry about Craig and me but to give you some direction in prayer to our Almighty Creator.  We are in good hands, but as I have said before and will say again, thank you so much for your prayers, we could not continue on our journey without them. I can safely say that I have personally felt the prayers of those of you that are praying faithfully at home.

Hanging out with Sam (right) and his friend at the coffee night.
Their beards put mine to shame!
Now for some good news. Last week I told you about the coffee night where we have the opportunity to meet local Kurds who speak English. Well last week was amazing. Craig and I both made many friends and exchanged numbers. It looks like we might even start playing on a soccer team with one of the guys I met. Please keep all of these relationships in mind. Hopefully next week I will be able to report more on the formulation of these friendships.

Tyler



Check out all the interns in this awesome intern video by Monique


1 comment:

  1. Continued prayers for you, the work you are doing and for the new relationships you are forming.

    ReplyDelete